Are you planning a family vacation this summer and need a safe place for a senior loved one to stay? Respite is the ideal solution for you!
Respite services offer a care solution for older adults and people with a disability who need extra support on a short-term basis. Your loved one can enjoy a short-term stay with us while you relax and enjoy your vacation knowing they are in good hands.
What to Know about Respite Care
A respite stay in a senior living community offers all of the services and amenities our long-term residents enjoy. Most senior living communities allow respite residents to stay from a few days or up to one month.
- Fully furnished room to enjoy
- Three well-balanced meals each day and healthy snacks between meals, special diet accommodations
- Assistance with personal care needs such as bathing, grooming, toileting, and dressing
- Support managing medications to ensure the correct dose of is taken at the right time
- Around-the-clock clinical team
- Laundry and housekeeping services provided
- Daily life enrichment activities
Prepare for a Respite Stay
Senior living communities will require some information prior to a respite stay and while it may vary by community, generally patients will need to provide:
- Completion of financial application
- Recent Physician visit, current medication list and completed H & P form (provided)
- Dates needed for Respite Care Stay
- Private payers – payment covering room and board expenses for identified dates
- Medicaid payers – plans will be confirmed beforehand
What should you pack?
Most senior living communities will encourage you to bring a few of your loved one’s favorite belongings to help their apartment feel more like home. It could be something as simple as their favorite throw and a few framed family photos. You should also bring:
- Clothing items
- Home medications in original bottles with instructions and dosages
- Durable medical equipment utilized in the home
It is always best to schedule a respite stay as soon as you know the dates for your vacation. Summer is a busy time for respite and you will want to make sure the community you like has space available.