What Should I Pack for a Post-Hospital Rehab Stay?
If you’ll be transitioning from a hospital stay to a Columbus area short-term rehab center, you may be wondering what to pack.
Luckily, you’ll be able to trade those awful hospital gowns for your own pajamas, but you will need more than just comfortable pajamas during your stay. Here is a list of what to pack for an inpatient stay at a short-term rehabilitation center.
What to Pack for a Short-Term Rehab Stay
- Footwear with non-slip soles.
- Sneakers with a solid grip are a must.
- Slippers and socks should also be non-skid to help prevent falls.
- Personal care items and toiletries as you would for vacation.
- Bring anything you normally use at home – from a toothbrush and toothpaste to shampoo and a blow-dryer.
- Don’t forget important items like hearing devices or glasses.
- Comfortable pajamas that are appropriate for the season and are easy to change into and out of.
- Don’t worry about looking dressed-up in rehab – everyone’s here to do therapy and get better, so choosing comfort over style is A-OK.
- Daytime and exercise clothing that’s loose-fitting and comfortable.
- Clothing that zips up might be easiest.
- Bring plenty of layering options so you can adjust to your comfort level. At MacIntosh care communities, our rooms have individual temperature controls to help with this.
- Favorite family photos and scrapbooks.
- These can help their room feel warmer and more personal.
- A basket with essentials such as your cell phone charger, books, crossword puzzles and pencils can help keep you occupied when you aren’t participating in therapy.
- Most of your time in rehab will be spent in therapy sessions, but you’ll also have free time to do whatever you like. Check out this list of 9 apps that can help keep you occupied when you have downtime.
- A favorite pillow and blanket, or a throw you like to use at home.
- At MacIntosh, we provide pillows, sheets, and a blanket, but you may prefer ones you’re used to so you feel more comfortable.
What Not to Bring to Post-Acute Rehab
Focus on packing the essentials for your rehab stay. You won’t need the following items.
- Expensive jewelry or watches
- Large sums of money
- A cane or walker (unless the rehab staff instructs you to. Talk to the staff before you arrive to be sure.)
If you have any doubts about what to bring or what not to bring, you can call the rehab center ahead of time.
What Amenities Are There in Rehab?
Rehabilitation doesn’t mean sitting around by yourself in drab surroundings. On the contrary, it’s a great way to stay social and meet new people as you recover and prepare for your transition to home.
At MacIntosh care communities, you’ll also find a variety of amenities to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable, including:
- In-room flat-screen TVs with cable
- Private phones
- Outdoor courtyards and walking paths
- Dining options that taste great and are healthy, too
- Social activities and outings
Between your therapy sessions and other activities, you may find that your rehab stay flies right by.
Learn More About Short-Term Rehab Options in Columbus
Our seven MacIntosh care communities are scattered throughout Columbus, Ohio, making them a convenient choice for your post-hospital rehab stay.
Download our guide to choosing a post-hospital rehabilitation center and see if MacIntosh could be the right choice for you.